To celebrate what libraries do for their communities we thought we’d take a look back at how things used to be. This photo was taken at the official opening of the Cabramatta Library on 7 October 1950. The library was located upstairs in the building that is now the Cabramatta Community Centre (on the corner of Railway Parade and McBurney Rd, Cabramatta). It would be 25 years before the Whitlam Library was built on the adjacent block.
Collecting photos like this to record and preserve Fairfield’s past is just one of the activities undertaken by the Fairfield City Library Service.
Happy Library & Information Week everyone!